Sat, May 04|
Woodsrunner School-Meetup Location
Spoon Carving is a 2-day class where students can learn the green woodworking skill of spoon carving.
Time & Location
May 04, 2024, 9:00 AM – May 05, 2024, 5:00 PM
Woodsrunner School-Meetup Location, 49 Brick House Rd, Whitmire, SC 29178, USA
About the Event
Welcome to our immersive Spoon Carving Weekend, a 2-day exploration into the artistry of green woodworking. Designed for both beginners and woodworking enthusiasts, this workshop is a gateway to the world of handcrafted wooden spoons and a deeper connection with nature.
In this class, students will be taught skills such as:
- Tree Identification: Delve into the enchanting realm of woodland flora as you learn to identify various tree species. This foundational skill forms the basis of your wood selection journey.
- Wood Selection & Harvesting: Explore the ethics and principles of responsible wood selection and harvesting. Forge a sustainable connection with the forest as you gather materials for your projects.
- Ax Usage: Learn how to skillfully use an ax, a fundamental bushcraft tool, and acquire skills that extend far beyond spoon carving.
- Knife Handling & Sharpening: Hone your knife skills, ensuring precision and safety throughout your woodworking endeavors. Learn the art of keeping your tools finely honed and razor-sharp.
- Tool Selection: Navigate the world of woodworking tools, gaining the wisdom to select the perfect tool for each task. Expand your toolkit for future crafting and adventures.
- Safety Practices: Prioritize safety in the wilderness with essential practices that protect both you and your fellow woodcrafters.
Crafting Beyond Spoons: Knowledge & Creativity:
Our Spoon Carving Class extends far beyond the creation of spoons. It is an educational journey through the realms of craftsmanship and bushcraft. By the end of this transformative experience, you'll leave not only with 2 or 3 finely crafted spoons but also with a wealth of knowledge.
This includes a profound understanding of different wood types, grain patterns, and carving techniques, all of which will significantly enhance your bushcraft skills. You'll find that this workshop is an investment in your creativity, craftsmanship, and connection to nature.
All necessary tools will be provided, ensuring that you're fully equipped for this exciting adventure. However, if you're a woodworking enthusiast with your own tools, feel free to bring them along.
- Mora 106
- Mora 164
- Robin Wood Carving Ax
- Silky Gomboy or Bacho Laplander
Eligibility Requirements: Students must be at least 12 years old. All students younger than 16 must be accompanied by a paid parent or legal guardian.
Meetup Location: Students need to meet our staff near The Brick House Campground, 49 Brick House Rd, Whitmire, SC 29178 between the hours of 4:15 PM and 4:30 PM Friday.
Directions: From I-26, take exit #60 (SC 66), drive east for 3.5 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 358 and drive .1 miles. There is a field just a short drive to your left. You will see our staff members parked at the entrance of the field to meet you. Turn in and they will provide you with instructions. (This is the meetup location unless otherwise noted). From there you will be led to the school property.
Early Arrivals: If you plan to arrive early. There are several hotels near and The Brick House Campground has primitive camping available with some sites first come first serve and others available for registration.
- Ticket type
The Spoon Carving Class is a 2-day class where students can learn the green woodworking skill of spoon carving.Price$240.00